Friday, August 25, 2017

I Am a Descendant of Slaveholders. Charlottesville Demands My Honesty About White Supremacy.

One writer opens up about her ancestor's crimes—and vows to do better.

When the white supremacists chanted “blood and soil” in honor of a Confederate general in Charlottesville this weekend, they were invoking me and people like me. On my father’s side, I’m descended from plantation families that enslaved Africans and African Americans in Mississippi and South Carolina. My second great-grandfather, Samuel Mitchell McAlister Jr., was a slaveholding Confederate private in the Mississippi State Cavalry.White supremacists have called, so I must respond. As a descendant of slaveholders and Confederate soldiers, I want to tell the truth about the evil that my ancestors and the Confederacy perpetrated, the repercussions their crimes have today, and how I and other white people still benefit from discrimination against people of color.

While conducting genealogical research in 2012, I traced my family’s line back to Enoch Grubbs, my fourth great-grandfather. As I looked through census records and other documents, I found a transcript of his will. Written in 1831 when he was about 76, it reads: “I give to my Son William my negro [woman] Lucy and her six children now in his possession.” To his grandsons, Enoch bequeathed four enslaved people, including “my negro girl Hannah 6 years of age and my negro boy George 4 years of age,” and stipulated that if his grandsons died before turning 21 and marrying, “the negro or negroes so given to him or them shall go to and belong to the survivours or survivour of them my said three grandchild, to them and their heirs forever."
I’m descended from Enoch’s daughter from his second marriage, Minerva, who was 12 when her father died. For her, her mother, and other young siblings, Enoch ordered the sale of any enslaved people he had not specifically bequeathed. He said the proceeds should pay for their maintenance and education.
From left: Samuel Mitchell McAlister Jr.; Minerva Grubbs with the author’s great-grandfather, James McAlister.
Courtesy Virgie Townsend
I was disgusted as I read Enoch’s will. He is a DAR-recognized Revolutionary War veteran who used the land he received for his service to grow rich off the backs of black men, women and children. Lucy and her children stand out in his will as the only family that appears mostly intact, suggesting they may have received different treatment. It’s possible Enoch raped Lucy and fathered her children, whom he then enslaved. Young Hannah and George were taken from their parents to live and die in labor to a stranger.
In his own words, Enoch planned for his grandchildren and their descendants, including me, to continue these crimes “forever.” In some ways, he got his wish.
"In his own words, Enoch planned for his grandchildren and their descendants, including me, to continue these crimes 'forever.' In some ways, he got his wish."
Over the past five years, I’ve tried to find out what happened to some of the people Enoch enslaved. William Grubbs, who inherited Lucy and her children, moved to a plantation in Alabama, where he listed 23 enslaved people in his will. Lucy isn’t named among them. Enoch's grandson, Enoch Lot, mostly disappears from government records, taking the fates of Hannah and George with him.
If they lived to see the Emancipation Proclamation, Hannah would have been 38 and George would have been 36. Even free, their lives would have been hard. They had already lost their families and would have had no money or education. I haven’t been able to find any photos of them, another depressing illustration of how white history erases people of color and tries to bury the lives of the people it exploits.
I do have a family photo of my second great-grandmother, Minerva's daughter and Enoch's granddaughter. This photo (she is the youngest, seated between two children I believe are her sisters) was taken in the late 1850s. In the 1860 census, her father, P.R. Thomas, is listed in the slave schedules as owning eight enslaved people, ranging from a one-year-old baby girl to a 35-year-old woman.
Divorce Your Partner if They Support Trump
Women's Rights are the Abortion Litmus Test
From left: the photo of the author’s second great-grandmother; P.R. Thomas’s schedule of enslaved people.
Courtesy Virgie Townsend
The Union and the people it freed technically “won” the Civil War, but my ancestors had already helped build a society that would always favor them and their descendants based on the color of their skin. They had powerful connections throughout the South. They had sold fellow human beings to fund their own educations, ensuring they qualified for important jobs.
I still benefit from the generational wealth and education that my ancestors stole from black people. After fighting for the Confederacy, Samuel McAlister received a position as postmaster—a prestigious role singling him out as one of the few literate men in his town. When he died, his obituary praised him as a lifelong Christian and “a man of a strong and well-cultivated mind." Ninety-eight years after his death, many of his descendants—including my immediate family—are college-educated. I went to a well-respected undergraduate program as a legacy student and was an attorney at the age of 25.
I’m not alone in the advantages I’ve reaped from the exploitation of people of color. Although we all want to believe we come from honest, hard-working people, even the poorest of our early European American ancestors had an upper hand over their contemporaries who had dark skin, particularly for employment opportunities. After the Civil War, Robert E. Lee personally advised his son to only hire other whites, writing: “You will never prosper with blacks. … Our material, social, and political interests are naturally with the whites.”
"My ancestors helped build a society that would always favor them and their descendants based on the color of their skin."

No comments:

Post a Comment

instant approval blog commenting sites list

blogging help blog posting site list blog commenting sites in india edu blog commenting sites auto approve dofollow blog comment list...